The ever-increasing market for online services is booming at the moment, and consequentially online transactions have become a mainstay in the current scenario. Any effort to communicate, interact, and take crucial decisions, to keep this dynamic market in motion would involve the usage of the popular internet-based mailing services. From the budding teenager to the busy sales executive, everyone’s life is now intertwined with one or more webmail services, and this has descended into the realms of necessity in a highly progressive world.
Along with this becoming a necessity, there also comes a sense of competition. Different companies vie to encourage customers to use their webmail service, instead of their competitors, each offering a variety of extra features and unique innovations that are designed to make everyday tasks much more convenient. Currently, the major players in the internet-based mailing industry are Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo! Mail. In this article, we will be making a case for choosing Gmail over its various competitors.
Introduction to Gmail
Google is one of the largest America-based multinational companies dealing in Information Technology. It has a huge spectrum of services on offer, including search engines, cloud computing, and advertising technology. One of the critical services provided by Google is that of its free, advertisement-aided webmail service – Google Mail, popularly known by its abbreviation Gmail.
It was developed by Google employee Paul Buchheit, who had previously worked on the revolutionary networking and file-sharing venture “Google Groups.” Incredibly, he developed the first version of Gmail in a single day, integrating the code from the ‘Google Groups’ project. It was launched on 1st April 2004 as a limited beta release, and despite it being in a testing stage, it had earned rave reviews from the masses. Its major selling points were a large email storage space of about one gigabyte and a much more efficient interface. These two factors were unprecedented in their contemporary during that time, and these laid down the foundations for outright dominance in the long run.
Over time, Gmail has undergone numerous progressive changes, introducing many more revolutionary features leaving behind its competition in the modern market. We will explore these features in the following section in an attempt to demonstrate why Gmail is the most highly recommended webmail service at present.
Why should you use Gmail?
Nothing is perfect, and the same goes for Gmail. While it is one of the largest internet-based messaging services, it does so because of the numerous benefits it poses to the average user. However, they still do have some points of weakness that need to be ironed out. Let’s take a more detailed note of the pros and cons to deliberate on the verdict regarding Gmail.
- Up to 15 GB of storage space is distributed through the platforms of Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Photos, extending to 30+ GB for paid users.
- Mail attachments extending to 25 MB for normal files, while larger files can also be attached as a Google Drive attachment.
- Excellent virus and malware detection facilities.
- A single portal for all your file storage, blogging, photo hosting, finance management needs, and other similar services.
- There is a sleek and dynamic interface with emails and replies being sorted into conversational threads, making the inbox much more organized and free of clutter.
- Dedicated search engine for emails in your inbox.
- Multilingual service extending to 72 languages.
- Robust spam filter which updates itself on the behavior of the user.
- Excellent uptime – the system is rarely down for maintenance issues
- A plethora of rich text options including emoticons, fonts, colors, indents and most of the basic features you will find in your average text editor.
- The message composing screen is a small popup window on the bottom right corner, which is not very convenient.
- There is no option to recover an accidentally deleted image.
- Even with the presence of themes, the overall canvas is quite plain and there is scope to stylize it.
So, overall we can see that the numerous positive points regarding the Gmail service, do greatly outweigh the few negative points raised against it. Apart from that, many of the features described in the pros are unique and are not offered by any other company in the market. This makes Gmail stand out head and shoulders above its competition and makes it the most recommended service provider in modern times.